Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Doing Christianity - Part 3


You're the minister - at HOME

I have been posting a series of thoughts about Doing Christianity. In Part 1, I wrote that if you consider yourself a Christ follower, that we must make an impact on the world around us, not just on ourselves (don’t turn your faith into a self-help Christianity). In Part 2, my point was that we are all uniquely created to be a part of Gods plan to impact the world. I finished the post with the question, “What are you supposed to be doing to fulfill the purpose that God created you for?”

Today, I want to talk about the first place we are called to make an impact. As Christ followers, I believe we are all ministers, starting with our HOME. What if you started looking at your home, family (yes, the in-laws count as family) and neighbors as a ministry field? When I talk about doing Christianity in this realm, I am not saying that you increase the length of your dinner prayers at Christmas, or preaching fire and brimstone over thanksgiving turkey. What I am saying is that I think we should be living your life with a view that HOME is a mission field and the way we handle those relationships will or will not glorify God. God has a serious plan and purpose for us in the realm of Home. Are we fulfilling that purpose?

My Point: God created us specifically to be ministers and impact the world around us. The first place we are ministers is at HOME.
For wiser words from wiser people check out these links:
Irish Calvinist on Husbands
Mark Batterson on Fathers

No comments: