Sunday, June 11, 2006

Being Prepared

One of the great principles that my father taught me growing up is to think ahead. Plan out your future, see the details and act accordingly. I have seen this as a great leadership principle as well. I grew up with the motto, "Be Prepared" (Yes I was a Boy Scout and am a proud Eagle). By the time I was 13 I had almost planned out the next 80 years of my life. It seemed natural for me to have all the details made until I learned of a variable that is uncontrollable. A variable that supersedes all planning, preparing and "thinking ahead". That variable is, "God is in control."

I was reminded by a friend of a saying, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans" Now I don't believe that out right but we must remember that God knows our life better than anyone and any plans that He has for us will be more joyous and rewarding than anything that we can think of doing. So if God plans are better than my plans, and for me to be a part of God's plan I need to submit to His control, than my life is a continual/daily release of control to Him. I want to be doing what God has me doing.

With that, I want to answer a question that I have heard so many times about Costa Rica, "What are you going to do in Costa Rica?" The answer to that question is, "I'll tell you when I get there." Now I am not going into this trip blind, my faith isn't strong enough for that. I have done my research, I have taken a trip to Costa Rica already, I am reading books, have a list of contacts to go through, and am planning our trip as much as I know I can. But when it boils down to the truth. All I know is that for Shannon and I to be a Part of Gods Plan, we are being led to move to Costa Rica for one year. That's it. That's all I know. And I am not even going to get started on what God has for us after Costa Rica - That will happen 8 months from now.

A simple game plan is to get involved in a church and minister through that church so that we can build a ministry that is self sustaining - it doesn't crash once we leave. But we also are looking into ministering at a local school where my FCA experience has definitely helped prepare me. There is a Medical clinic that Shannon would love to help in (that is one of her passions). There is a social action group that helps the Bri Bri Indians that we may take part in as well. Then there is the ministry of laying on the beach and getting a tan so that this white boy can fit in a little better. Okay maybe that's not ministry but I do look forward to it.

The plan, boiled down to bare truth, is to make an impact for Christ wherever we go. We know that God has something for us in Costa Rica, we are excited to find that out, but God is only going to give us enough to take one step - if that much.

"... we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and LIVE!" - Hebrews 12:9

Sharing the Experience
Phil

No comments: